Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Twin Spreadsheet conversion service.




Twin was a DOS based spreadsheet program from Mosaic Software, Inc. that was judged too similar to Lotus 1 2 3. Both predated Microsoft Excel which cannot open Twin files as you have already discovered. Twin files have the same .wks extension as Microsoft Works files but they are not the same format.

I still have a working copy of Twin and I can translate your Twin .wks files to .dif that most spreadsheet programs can import.

Rates are $100 per hour with a minimum of 2.5 hours charged.

I accept payment via paypal for emailed files.

Personal or business checks are okay for files sent on CD/DVD disks or other mailable media.

Contact me if you need the service.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, amazed there is such a service. I'm Arthur Hu, they guy that wrote Twin. The basic records are the same as 1-2-3, but we added some different records for charts. Since records are tagged with length, they can be skipped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur,

      Glad to meet you.

      We (University of Iowa) got Twin with our Leading Edge computers back in the 1980s. A cheaper alternative to IBMs. We used it for that generation of pcs. I was working on recovering some old data last year and some was in the Twin spreadsheet format that Excel could not open. I found my original Twin 5 1/4" floppies. I still have an old DEC 486 with a 5.25" drive I can get working so I was able to copy it to my modern windows pc where it worked in a cmd window in XP. I got my files converted and I figured maybe someone else might need the help so I put up the blog. To date zero customers. You are the first to mention it.

      I do remember helping 1 student with her graduate thesis. She used the twin word processor and the file got corrupted. I spent a morning with the norton disk doctor retrieving 1 sector at a time not realizing her defense was that afternoon. I never used the word processor as I had Wordstar which did things no other word processor ever has like vertical cut & paste which was handy for data management.

      Rick

      Delete